Skip to Section Subnavigation Skip to Page Content
Skip to Page Content
In the fall of 1886, Mary Pickard Winsor opened a little six-month school on Beacon Hill for eight fifth-grade girls. From that very modest start grew the singular institution we celebrate today: The Winsor School. The 2010-2011 school year marked its 125th anniversary. At the turn of the 20th century Miss Winsor’s was one of many such schools. While many of those have long since closed their doors, Winsor endured in part because of the foresight of visionary women and men who formed a corporation in 1908 to ensure the future of girls’ education in Boston. They commissioned a “modern” school building surrounded by spacious grounds for play. They convinced Miss Winsor to make a bold move with her students and faculty out to the fairly undeveloped Longwood area. The girls persuaded Miss Winsor to allow the school to bear her name. The rest is, as they say, history
On Saturday, May 7, 2011, hundreds of Winsor alumnae, students, faculty past and present, families and friends returned to campus, accepting the invitation to "be part of history." View a photo gallery and video.
On the eve of a historic 125th anniversary weekend, more than 100 Winsor alumnae, parents, faculty and friends turned their thoughts to the future at the Director’s Forum on “Our 21st Century Economy.” Five insightful panelists shared lessons from successes—and failures—and discussed the role of innovation in this “very entrepreneurial nation.”
No events are currently available.