Spring Concert Heralds in the Season
On Wednesday, April 24, 2019, the annual Spring Concert featured uplifting performances by Lower School Chorus, Upper School Chorale, Small Chorus, Senior Small and members of the Upper School Chamber Orchestra.
Lower School Chorus performed three pieces:
- "Kusimama," written by Jim Papoulis, an inspirational song for children about standing tall on the earth with hope, strength, acceptance and positivity. Sung in Swahili and in English, with Elizabeth Martin '20 accompanying on djembe.
- "Arirang," arranged by Sonja Poorman and Jonathan Limis, a 600-year-old traditional Korean folk song based on a pentatonic scale. Elizabeth Martin '20 accompanied on alto recorder and Ms. Felicia Brady-Lopez on piano.
- "A Million Dreams" from the film "The Greatest Showman," written by Benj Pasek and Justin Paul and arranged by Mac Huff. Solos by Aimy Hunyh '24, Eva LaFond '24, Nidhi Mallavarapu '25, and Millie Woods '26.
Upper School Chorale also performed three songs, enhancing the pieces with choreography:
- "Respect," by Otis Redding, made famous by the 1967 Aretha Franklin version that remains an empowering anthem to this day. Soloist Nazira Calhoun '20 rocked the house, and Nicole Masuoka '20 and Lucy Narva '19 accompanied on piano and drums respectively.
- "Mo LI Hua (The Jasmine Flower)," a traditional Chinese Folk Song, arranged and transcribed by Jill Gallina. Flute solo by Erica Sahin '22.
- "We Go Together" from the musical "Grease." The piece was written by Warren Casey and Jim Jacobs and was arranged by Ed Lojeski. Ms. Penny Ouellette on piano.
Small Chorus performed three songs, bringing the audience to its feet with its final number, an astounding original piece by junior Audrey Wu '20:
- The finale to Mendelssohn's "Midsummer Night's Dream," dedicated to Class IV as they prepare for their Shakespeare play. Solos by Lia Kornmehl '19 and Leslie Moukheiber '19. Ms. Penny Ouellette on piano.
- "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal, arranged by Stefan Wyatt, with a solo by Julie Wilson '19.
- "Hope is a Thing with Feathers," a brand new, original work by Audrey Wu '20, based on the poetry of Emily Dickinson, with Audrey on piano. Small Chorus premiered the work on March 3, 2019 at their annual March Concert with Roxbury Latin.
In their final performance of the year, Senior Small performed "Always Be My Baby" by Mariah Carey, Jermaine Dupri and Manuel Seal, arrangement by Deke Sharon, with solos by Teresa Lawlor '19 and Chloe Duval '19, and beatboxing by Julie Wilson '19.
Upper School Chamber Orchestra also performed two numbers:
- Pastorale, Op. 51 by Carl Hillmann, featuring Erica Sahin '22 on flute and Katie Burstein '21 on violin, Ms. Ouellette on piano
- "La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin" by Claude Debussy, featuring Elly Pickette '21 on oboe, Brigid O'Connor '22 on clarinet and Lydia Broderick '19 on piano.