Principles of Global Responsibility
The Winsor School believes that a critical dimension of academic excellence in the 21st century is the preparation for responsible participation in the global community.
The forces of globalization now ensure that individuals and communities separated by vast geographic distances and cultural differences are increasingly interconnected and interdependent. Distant peoples and events shape local worlds, while at the same time individual and community decisions––made at Winsor, in Boston, or in New England––often have an impact on wider social and ecological environments.
In preparing its students to act responsibly in this interconnected and interdependent world, The Winsor School is committed to ensuring that its students not only understand the nature of globalization but also appreciate the personal stakes and responsibilities they have as global citizens.
We believe a global citizen...
- Recognizes the dignity of every individual and values the diversity of human cultures.
- Strives for self-knowledge through the study of others.
- Aspires to an empathetic understanding of others.
- Actively seeks intercultural dialogue and engagement.
- Is willing to act on behalf of social justice and human rights.
- Acts as a steward for the natural environment.